There’s something really sweet and romantic about lockets. I think it’s because they have been romanticized in stories, books and in the movies. Whether it’s a period or a romantic movie, chances are, the heroine will have a locket around her neck with the photo of her beloved in it. Or perhaps, of a mother, who has lost a child and forever wears her locket with a photo of her little one, close to her heart. Or this:
She saw that it was the work of a skilled artisan and that the diamonds were of great brilliancy and superbly set, but the cutting of them denoted that they were of a former day. She noticed too that the locket opened, and, pressing the hidden clasp, she saw the two halves spring apart to reveal in either section an ivory miniature.”
- Edgard Rice Burroughs, Tarzan of the Apes
When Martha Jackson got in touch and asked if I wanted to do a review of one of their lockets, I quickly said yes. At the back of my head, I thought of T of course. I knew that when she’s old enough, she will love to have a locket to forever cherish.
They have a number of beautiful lockets to choose from, but I chose the Silver Double Oval locket. I thought it would be handy to have two compartments. Although admittedly, I haven’t found a photo of little T, small enough to fit in there. But I’m sure I’ll eventually find something or perhaps, I’ll have to print a specific photo for this beautiful keepsake.
Above is a photo of the first compartment.
The second compartment is bigger than the first.
Martha Jackson’s lockets can also be personalised. I asked that the words “Carpe Diem” to be engraved behind the locket. This is something we like to remind T about to. To always seize the day, no matter what her fears are or the circumstances she’s in – grab life by the throat and experience everything life has to offer. After all, as parents, isn’t this what we wish for our children?
As you’ve probably noticed, there’s also a small letter “T” and a little pearl charm along with the locket. You can order these add-ons. It can be an initial like the “letter T”, a lovely pearl, or even a little key. I just love these little add-on details, it just makes the locket even more special and unique to the wearer.
What I love about the Silver Double Oval Locket:
- As mentioned, it has two compartments. One small one in front and another bigger one at the back.
- I love that you can personalise all the Martha Jackson’s lockets. For me, it’s the perfect gift for daughters when they are old enough to cherish it.. You can also choose your own font, whether you want a simple font or an elaborate one.
- Again, I love that you can choose some add-ons, whether it’s an initial or a charm like a pearl or a key. You can also choose whether you want the add-ons in silver or gold.
- I love that you can choose the length of the necklace. When ordering, you can choose a short one (35-40 cm), or a long one like mine (76 cm, extra long belcher chain.)
- And most of all, I love that the price is affordable. It won’t cost you an arm and a leg to have something as beautiful and unique as this one. This particular locket starts at £45. Of course, the add-on charms and the length of the locket will also determine the cost in the end. For someone special in your life, it’s definitely worth the spend.
What I don’t like about it:
- This isn’t major. But I wasn’t too impressed with the packaging. It came in an ordinary small white box. I think something as pretty and as dainty as this deserves better packaging.
I’ve shown little T the locket and she absolutely loves it. I’ve told her that when she’s older, she can have it. She keeps asking me “But when will that be mum”? I told her that she’ll have it when she’s responsible enough not to lose it.
Christmas is just around the corner. If you’re looking for a special and unique present for the woman in your life, whether it’s your wife, partner, girlfriend or daughter, I think this forever keepsake is the one for them.
What about you?
Do you like lockets too?
*I received this lovely locket from Martha Jakson for the purpose of this review but all photos and opinions are by yours truly.