I’ve always wanted to be a mother, but no one warned me or even told me about how difficult being a mother is. That I will be plagued with fears every single day of my life and the worse part about these fears is that they are all beyond my control. Every mother or father knows what this feeling is all about. Call it paranoia, I call it motherhood or parenthood.
Do you fear:
- That if your child gets on their scooter or bike, they will fall and hurt themselves? Not that you would stop them from doing it, no. In fact, you encourage it. And then say a little prayer please let them be safe.
- That they might get bullied in school or prejudiced in some way? You hear stories of children being bullied in school or online and each time you say a little prayer please don’t let that happen to my child.
- That when they are not with you something terrible might happen?
- That in the future someone might (will) break their little hearts and the worse part is, you won’t be able to kiss that hurt away?
- That in the future, your child will be in a bad relationship, or marry a person who won’t treat them and love them the way you love them with all your heart? And you can’t stop it from happening
- That in the future they will make the wrong choices and again, it will be beyond your control and mommy or daddy won’t be able to fix it?
Do you dread that day when you unintentionally will fail them, because at one point or another, we parents are bound to fail them in some way, whether it is a minor or major thing and it will hurt them and it will hurt us no matter how much we try for the inevitable to never happen?
I do – all that … everything and more.